Dear Parents and Guardians,
On Thursday October 17, at the PTA meeting, the general membership reviewed and approved the 2019-2020 PTA budget. (See other side for all programs the PTA will fund this year.)
Thanks to accumulated surpluses in recent years, the PTA is able to invest significantly this year in reducing the student:teacher ratio in 1st and 2nd grades, when children are still mastering literacy and other foundational skills. This is, by far, our largest expense category this year, and the PTA is proud to contribute to our school in this way.
The Department of Education and United Federation of Teachers allow for 25 children in kindergarten classrooms and 32 children in 1st-5th grade classrooms. In part thanks to PTA support, PS 107 has been able to have four classrooms for 1st grade, which keeps the class size well below 32. This year for 2nd grade, we are funding additional teachers in classrooms so there are two teachers for the 32 students in each class.
For 1st grade, the PTA and the administration has found a creative way maintain four classrooms. And when we say creative, we mean literally, as the Department of Education doesn’t allow PTAs to fund classroom teachers, but does permit them to fund arts teachers. By using PTA money to fund about 80% of a full-time arts teacher, the principal can free up money to fund another classroom teacher through the DOE budget. There are two arts teachers at PS 107- one for visual arts and one for music- that the PTA is permitted to fund. If we want to have art, music, and low class size, the PTA must provide funds to pay for the arts teachers. In 2019-2020, we funded the vast majority of one of them.
Who decides how the PS 107 PTA money is spent? PTA board members meet with Ms. Eve to discuss any DOE shortfalls and her priorities for the school. Together, PTA officers and Ms. Eve discuss all items—from staffing needs to professional development to supplies to enrichment programs. DOE shortfalls are covered first through the art(s) teachers grant, which ensures the school has what it needs to keep class size as low as possible. Then the PTA board determines how much funding remains for all of the extras: residencies, enrichment, community events, supplies, teacher grants, etc. The PTA board welcomes discussion of PTA spending at monthly meetings throughout the year so PTA officers can consider everyone’s ideas.
For next year (2020-2021), our goal is to maintain support of reduced lower-grade student:teacher ratio, ideally by funding both PS 107 arts teachers. To do so, we will need to reach our fundraising goals this year, including our Annual Fund goal of $250,000. If you have already contributed, thank you. If you have yet to make your gift, please give as generously as you can. Gifts of all sizes are important and welcome. Thank you.
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com.
Amy Weintraub President, PS 107 PTA
PS 107 PTA 2019-2020 Approved Budget
Remember: All parents/guardians are members of the PTA!
Below is the PTA expense budget, approved by you, the PS 107 PTA members, at the meeting on October 17, 2019.
Reducing Teacher: Student Ratio
- Additional teachers in second grade
- One Arts Teacher 80% Funded by the PTA
- PreK: Creative Movement with Together in Dance
- Kindergarten: Creative Movement with Together in Dance
- 1st: Gotta Sing Gotta Dance with TADA!
- 2nd: Building the Brooklyn Bridge with League of Young Inventors
- 3rd: African Dance with Alvin Ailey
- 4th: Ballroom Dance with Dancing Classrooms
- 5th: Improv with Freestyle Repertory Theatre
- Math PD: Generation Ready
- Differentiating Instruction & ICT Support: G & R Inclusive
- Literacy & Orton-Gillingham Phonics: Peg Galella
Social & Emotional Support and Learning
- Extra Days for Guidance Counselor Sarah Green
- Tolerance & Diversity Programming (No Place for Hate)
- Pre-K, K, 1st: STEM projects
- Grades 2-5: Science field trips & project-based learning
- MathMagic! (all grades)
- Author visits for all grades
- 4th and 5th grade Book Club
- Learning Friends
- Library support
- Teacher grants
- PE equipment & recess gear
- Art enrichment & supplies
- Field trip scholarships
- Testing week programs for PreK-2nd grade
- School supplies: blue folders, 5th grade planners, art sketch books
- CPR training for Lunch Aides
- Nurse supplies: bandages, ice packs Custodial support
- Underwear and socks for accidents
- Teacher Appreciation Day
- Piano tuning
- Principal requests
- Welcome & Kindergarten Breakfasts
- Harvest Day
- Grandparents’ Day Breakfast
- Big Yard Games
- Heritage Day
- Art Day
- STEM Day
- Parent Workshops
- Babysitting & pizza for PTA Meetings
- Student Spending Project
- Beast Relief programs
- 5th Grade endangered animal book
All of this is possible through your generous support of the Annual Fund, Auction, Fall Festival, Spring Fling, Photo Day, Eat & Greet, Read-a-thon, Movie Nights, Gear Sales, Book Fair, etc.
THANK YOU—We Are PS 107!