Dear PS 58 Families:
We hope you are having a restful and enjoyable summer with your families. As we move into August and get closer to the start of school, we wanted to give you a brief update on the PTA’s actions over the summer.
New details about schools reopening were recently provided by Chancellor’s Carranza’s office in their July 27 Update (sent out earlier today by Parent Coordinator Joan Bredthauer, and viewable on the web here). We understand the importance of in-classroom learning with peers. We also understand that some of you feel more comfortable with fully-remote learning. Whatever your family’s preference, we share your concerns and want to help you do what’s in the best interests of your families. The PS 58 administration is working hard to prepare various contingency plans and will be providing more specifics on reopening soon.
Regardless of what schedule your child will have, the PTA is devoting resources for your child’s return to PS 58. These include an increase in technology investments to support remote learning, with a focus on new hardware for teachers and new subscriptions for students. We are also supporting staff professional development including equity training, technology support, and the RULER program for Recognizing, Understanding, Labeling, Expressing, and Regulating emotions. To ensure the safety and hygiene of everyone in our building, we have also increased our purchases of Personal Protective Equipment and cleaning supplies.
To support our neighbors and wider community, our PTA is holding a pandemic relief fundraiser for our Partner School, PS 676. As you may have heard, all families with children attending New York City public schools will receive an EBT benefit of $420 per child this summer. PS 58 parents who wish to lend a hand may donate the cash equivalent of this benefit to support children in our district living without food security. Details on this fundraiser will be available in the coming days.
While the PTA doesn’t traditionally meet over the summer, we want parents to have as many chances as possible to communicate with us, the PS 58 staff, and each other. We have scheduled a midsummer General PTA Meeting on Wednesday, August 5, at 10am. A Zoom link will be shared in advance via Konstella, and also emailed to all families.
Our agenda will include:
- PTA Co-Presidents Genevieve Simard and Negar Treister discussing PTA plans for the coming year;
- updates from the school administration;
- a check-in with the various PTA Committees; and
- an “open mic” period for parents to ask any questions.
As a reminder, all PS 58 parents are members of our PTA, and everyone is encouraged to attend our meetings. Please bring your questions, concerns, suggestions, and volunteer energy, and join us as we support our school!
If you have specific questions you would like us to address at the meeting, please email them to us in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a new PS 58 family, or were unable to attend the PTA elections in June, you can see the new directory of officers here.
Genevieve, Negar and the PTA Board
Zoom link information:
Topic: PS 58 PTA General Meeting 08052020
Time: Aug 5, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 812 1521 2906
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,81215212906#,,,,,,0#,,4212039# US (New York)
Meeting ID: 812 1521 2906
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kblirwUfS2
- Zoom is free. Meetings are best viewed with a local Zoom client (app) instead of through your browser. If you haven't done so yet, go here to download Zoom.
- Please wear headphones if possible. Sound coming from your computer speakers can be picked up by your microphone and cause feedback.
- You will be muted upon entry into the meeting. Please only unmute if the moderator calls on you for a question/comment. If you need to unmute just for a quick comment, you can press and hold your spacebar for a "push-to-talk" feature.
By default you will be in "Speaker View" which shows a large video of the person who is speaking and smaller thumbnails of everyone else. To see everyone at once, select "Gallery View" in the upper right-hand corner. To see up to 49 people on one screen in Gallery View, go to the gear under your profile in the Zoom app, and enable that feature under Settings:Video.
- The meeting will be moderated by members of the PTA Executive Board and will start with PTA Co-presidents Negar Treister and Genevieve Simard talking/presenting.
At some point we will open the floor to general questions. Remember when you ask your question to unmute yourself and to turn on your video.
We look forward to seeing you!