Thanks for your patience with the number of notifications coming out right now as we all try to keep on top of the news coming out of the negotiations room.
The strike will continue tomorrow, Friday, May 5. Again, the school building will be open, and nobody will be prevented from entering, but it will not be a normal day. Many of our amazing teachers and staff will be on the picket line outside. Thank you so much to everyone who dropped by to support our school community today, from the drivers and honkers, to the dancers, to the coffee and pastry-bearers.
Here are the latest updates:
- If you got a ParentSquare notification about your child being absent today, don't worry - the absence won't count against you; they will be excused the next day, and you can expect this to happen as long as the strike goes on.
- OUSD (aka the district) has posted their latest update in ParentSquare, and you can read it here. They also have a strike one-pager that you can access here.
- OEA (aka the teachers' union) has posted their latest update on their Facebook page, and you can watch the video here.
- The OEA has issued a Call to Action for parents who are interested to write a short letter to OUSD, and you can submit your letter here.
- And, while you're at your computer, make sure to complete next year's classroom assignment survey here. (I'm just going to keep plugging that, because it makes me remember this will eventually get resolved!)
- Teacher appreciation week is next week! We will see how tomorrow goes. If the strike continues into next week, we will likely delay our celebration a week. Keep an eye out for updates from your Room Parents about this late tomorrow or over the weekend.
We know this is a tumultuous time for everyone, no matter where your views stand, so please take good care tonight, and we'll be in touch tomorrow when we have updates to share.
Tiffany and Anna