|November 26, 2017 Volume 9, Issue 10
As many of you also experienced, it was an odd surprise last week not to see Annie overseeing the crosswalk on Shearwater Parkway! In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I was so grateful to the many parent volunteers who stepped up and stepped in to guide traffic and protect our young pedestrians and cyclists on their way to school. I am happy to report that Annie is expected back at work in mid-December. In her absence, a substitute crossing guard has been assigned to work at the intersection of Monaco and Shearwater, at the stop sign. This location, while a departure from past practice, reflects the current agreement in place between Redwood City and All City Management, the contractor that provides crossing guard services to various locations around the city, county, and state. Any proposed adjustment to the location or the staffing model would take some time and would require a joint effort among Shores residents, our school, and the city. Therefore, in the short term:
- Drivers: allow extra time, drive slowly and carefully, and look out for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Pedestrians: consider crossing Shearwater near the stop sign and the substitute crossing guard.
- Parents: sign up to manage a crosswalk on Shearwater or on campus. Check Konstella and indicate any days you can donate a bit of your time (Mornings: 8:05-8:50am, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday afternoons: 2:20-3:10, Wednesday afternoon: 12:10-1:50). You'll see me and other staff members assisting as well and we will be very grateful for the support.
- Everyone: give an extra big smile and a huge thank you to the incredible crew of crosswalk volunteers and valet volunteers who already give their time once a week and often more to help with the safe passage to school.
I appreciate your support and communication as we work together on this. Although we can't replace Annie, we can certainly exercise extra caution, roll up our sleeves, and keep our kids and community safe!
See you very soon, and thanks.
PTA General Association Meeting
For PTA Members || November 28, 7:00pm-8:00pm || School Library
A reminder to all PTA Members, we will not have the meeting this week due to the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday. Next Tuesday, join us for a discussion on the topic "Fostering Resilience in Children and Teens and Why it Matters".
This and subsequent PTA meetings are for PTA members only. Become a PTA Member today to make a difference. Click here to sign up and pay for membership on Konstella, or click on “Redwood Shores Elementary”, “More” at the top center of the page, “Sales” from the drop down and “Buy/Purchase” under PTA membership!
There is no meeting in December due to the winter break. See you in January!
Join your neighborhood friends and walk or bike or carpool to school! Every month we'll have a competition on these special Wednesdays, and the grade with the most kids participating will win the Golden Sneaker Award for the month.
Don’t Forget to Order Your Yearbook!
Our yearbook team has been busy taking pictures of our students making special memories at our recent school events like student assemblies, Halloween, the Walk-a-Thon and Multi Cultural Night. Don't forget to order your yearbook filled with these memories! TreeRing is offering one last discount at 5% off the regular price of $20.39 for the month of November, including two FREE customizable pages. If you purchase now, you still have until the end of April to design your student's custom pages.
To order, go to www.treering.com and enter our school code #101282597210657. You can choose the standard soft cover or hard cover for an additional fee. Any questions, contact Christine Wong.
PTA Reflections Art Program 2017-2018
Calling all artists! The National PTA Reflections Program encourages all children to unleash their creative talents, experience the fun and joy of making great art based on this year’s theme "Within Reach". Click here for rules and details. If you have additional questions, contact Reflections Art Chair Roxana Craciun. Submissions are due by December 1st.
- Click here to use the Amazon Associates program. We do have other programs like Smile for the PTA, and it's certainly ok to use that, but the amount we receive back is far greater (generally 3 - 10%, depending on the item purchased) from the Associates program than through Smile.
- For those of you purchasing holiday cards or other picture gifts from Shutterfly, you can use this storefront and Shutterfly will donate 13% (!) of the purchase to SchoolForce.
- Remember SchoolForce on Giving Tuesday, November 28th.
Sandpiper & San Carlos Children's Theater Present Lion King KIDS!
Sandpiper School is presenting their second theater production in collaboration with San Carlos Children's Theater in December. Tickets are now on sale for three showings of "The Lion King KIDS!" All seats are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis until the production is sold out. Tickets are: $10 Advance Reserved (Rows 6-10) and $18 Advance Premium (Rows 1-5).
Friday, December 15 at 7:00 pm
Saturday, December 16 at 7:00 pm
Sunday, December 17 at 1:00 pm
Questions? Contact Tickets Volunteer Cristen Shinbashi.
December Wee Care Toy Drive
The Samaritan House has collection bins in the school office to collect new, unwrapped toys for their Holiday Program. Each year they serve well over 2,000 children in San Mateo County, providing new toys, new coats and more. You can print individual gift tags from our website to specify a girl or boy gift. The Samaritan House will pick up the toy collection bin on in early December. If you are interested in Community Service opportunities such as this, please contact the PTA to volunteer.
- Tue Nov 28 PTA Meeting, 7-8pm, Library
- Wed Nov 29 Walk-n-Roll Wednesday
- Thu Nov 30 Yearbook Discount Ends
- Fri Dec 1 Lawrence Hall of Science Assembly
- Fri Dec 1 Reflections Art Program Submissions Due
|"The Catch" is published weekly by the Redwood Shores Elementary School PTA, 225 Shearwater Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065 and distributed to everyone registered in the school directory on Konstella. To submit information email email@example.com.