March 1, 2017
Dear Shafter Elementary parents,
The members of the current PTO Executive Board are leaving their positions at the end of this school term. Therefore, we must fill these four positions with new parent volunteers to maintain our status as an active status. The four open PTO positions are the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. The Room Parent Liaison is an adjunctive PTO/School position that is also available to volunteers. Box Tops coordinator is the final position that needs to be filled.
In accordance with our PTO 2016 bylaws, our chapter will dissolve on May 10, 2017 if these PTO positions are not filled. The PTO’s financial account will then be turned over to the school’s administration in a frozen status until a new executive board has been established. The current PTO board, along with the membership, has been working diligently to ensure a smooth transition for the new volunteers. Some of these efforts include switching to a school-based 501(c)3 non-profit PTO, creating our own bylaws, streamlining event planning and voting to contribute over $8000 to directly improve the well-being of our children’s school.
On behalf of the PTO, we would like to thank you for your support of this amazing school. The mission of our organization is to directly enhance our children’s educational experience by ensuring a safe, fun environment that serves to provide a valuable communication link between the parents and the school. Thanks to the dedication and hard work of our many volunteers, teachers and staff, we have all had the opportunity to enjoy great events such as: the Fall Festivals, Spring Dance, Ice Pops, Original Works artwork, Keiki Kits, Staff Appreciation Days and the upcoming Shafter Games Field Day.
The PTO currently has great momentum propelling our school forward. Our administration and teachers are talented, caring, and want the best for our children, but they need the immediate assistance of our parents. Please consider contributing some of your time and talent in the betterment of Shafter Elementary.
Sarah Thompson Jennifer Noyes
President Vice President
Katie Romano Lindsay Steinbrunner
Amy Kuk Catherine Vargas Katie Gibb
Room Parent Liaison Box Tops Coordinator Papa John’s Coordinator
Shafter Elementary PTO Executive Board Positions
Eligibility for Office
Members are eligible for office if they are current Shafter Elementary PTO members in good standing with the organization and intend to commit one school year’s time in selected position.
Terms of Office
Officers are elected for one school year and may serve no more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office. Each person elected shall hold only one office at a time. If an officer must vacate his/her position sooner than the end of the school year, than written notice will be given to the President or in the case of the President vacating, than written notice of the vacancy date will be given to the Executive Committee as soon as the vacancy date is known.
President(s) - general duties:
- Strategically lead PTO Executive and General Board meetings and align all initiatives with the School Administration.
- Be a member ex officio of all committees except the nominating committee.
- Have co-custody with the Treasurer of all the funds of the PTO.
- Maintenance payment of PTO website & insurance policy (Aug)
- Direct and support the work of the officers and committees of the PTO.
Vice-President(s) - general duties:
- Act as aide to the President(s)
- Perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of that officer to serve.
- Promote active membership and maintain a current membership roster.
- Perform other delegated duties as assigned.
Secretary – general duties:
2.Record the minutes of all meetings of the organization, both general and executive boards (unless otherwise specified).
- Maintain current copy of the PTO bylaws and review every school year. Make revisions or addendums to the bylaws when changes are voted in by the general membership with authorization by the President.
- Perform other delegated duties as assigned.
Treasurer – (general duties):
- Have co-custody of all the funds of the PTO.
- Keep a detailed, itemized and accurate account of all receipts and expenditures by PTO initiative. Records will be kept in both paper and electronic forms.
- Make disbursements as authorized by the President, Executive Board, in accordance with the budget adopted by the membership.
- Maintain account checkbook.
- Present a financial statement prior to every General and Executive Board meetings and additionally when requested by the Executive Board.
- Present an annual report when requested by the President at the end of the school year meeting.
- Maintenance State of Hawaii and Federal taxes semi-annually (Jan & July)
- Make timely disbursements of requested funds
Room Parent Liaison – (general duties):
- Maintains continuity and timeliness of communication between parents, teachers, staff and Shafter Elementary PTO.
- Acts as an interface between the school and the PTO so that Room Parent’s uphold their individual responsibilities as written by the Room Parent Guidelines.