We are thrilled to announce our study trip for this year’s inaugural high school class of 2020; get excited! Denali students have the opportunity to tour the beautiful University of California Santa Cruz and California State University Monterey Bay. Equally as exciting, these tours will be guided by Summit alumni and volunteers who will share their experiences, offering inspiration as well as motivation for our students. We cannot wait for this trip, as it will build a sense of community among our rising sophomore class. Plus, they get to have a blast at The Boardwalk!
The study trip provides a valuable opportunity for students to visit two different universities and to authentically experience what campus life is like in college. Because nothing can replace the experience of visiting a college campus in person, we look forward to your engagement and are hoping to increase overall parent participation this year. All 9th grade parents are encouraged to refer to the list below to see how you can be part of your child’s study program!
We rely on family drivers to make these trips possible! Please consider volunteering as a driver! More information is on the following page or online at http://tinyurl.com/Denali2017-9th-StudyTrip
This trip is a little different from others in that we need drivers throughout the day on both days.
On Thursday, we need drivers from 9:30am (in Sunnyvale) until 5:00pm (in Santa Cruz) to drive students between Denali, CSU Monterey Bay, Wilder Ranch and the Boys and Girls Club.
On Friday, drivers are needed at 8:00am at the Boys and Girls club in Santa Cruz, then at 12:15pm to drive to the boardwalk, and finally at 2:30pm to drive back to Denali.
Parents are welcome to spend the night at the boys and girls club, but that is not required. The teachers will provide the overnight supervision.
Accommodations for parents:
If you plan to stay with the students at the Boys and Girls Club, it is free for parents. You just need to bring your own sleeping bag and pillow. I think everyone including students will need to pack their own lunch for Thursday.
There are many nearby motels. Carousel Beach Inn (http://www.yelp.com/biz/carousel-beach-inn-santa-cruz) in Santa Cruz which is directly across from the Boardwalk and only 5 minute drive away from where the kids are staying. Rio Vista Inn is a nicer motel and other options include Ocean Pacific Lodge. They are all 5 minutes away from the Boys and Girls Club where the students and teachers are staying.
Here's a link to the itinerary and permission slip: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1svGgyUTBHoRdOSgwDV3psFYgXSu_Nb0HiLWpd12IIyk/edit
We rely on family donations to make these trips possible (all contributions will go toward the study trip). After accounting for funds raised by the 9th grade student council, we will spend $50.00 per student to make this trip possible. Donations will be used to cover food, activities, and transportation. Donations beyond $50 can support another student’s participation on the trip!
These trips are an amazing opportunity for students to envision their college possibilities. Please consider participating (as donors or drivers) for the 9th grade study trip this May!
WHEN: May 18-19, 2017 (2 days, 1 night)
Start Time: 5/18 (Thurs) Depart at 9:45 a.m.
End Time: 5/19 (Fri) Checkout 3:40 p.m.
CSU Monterey Bay 100 Campus Center, Seaside, CA 93955
Wilder Ranch State Park 1401 Coastal Rd., Santa Cruz, CA 90560
Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Cruz 543 Center St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
UC Santa Cruz 1156 High St., Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Santa Cruz Boardwalk 400 Beach St., Santa Cruz, CA 90560
Itinerary for 9th Grade Denali Study Trip 2017:
May 18th 2017:
- 9:45 AM: Leave Denali - (Drivers needed)
- 11:15 AM: Arrive at CSU Monterey Bay - (Drivers needed)
- 11:30 AM: Eat Lunch in Mentor Groups
- 12:15 AM: Tour CSUMB
- 1:15 PM: - Leave CSUMB for Wilder Ranch - (Drivers needed)
- 2:30 PM: Arrive at Wilder Ranch for whole group activity - (Drivers needed)
- 3 PM: Groups formed for afternoon activities Wilder Ranch State Park Information
- 4:30 PM: Leave Wilder Ranch to Boys and Girls Club - (Drivers needed)
- 5 PM: Arrive Boys and Girls Club - (Drivers needed)
- 5:30 PM: Split into Mentor Groups for group reflections/ Relaxation and free time
- 6:30 PM: Dinner at Boys and Girls Club
- 7:30 PM: Clean up
- 7:45 PM: Games (evening entertainment)
- 8:30 PM: Appreciation Circle
- 9 PM: Bedtime (Split into boys and girls for bed time)
- 10 PM: Lights Out
May 19th 2017:
- 6:45 AM: Wake up!
- 7:05 AM: Breakfast
- 8:00 AM: Depart to UCSC - (Drivers needed)
- 9:00 AM: Field sports/activities at UCSC
- 10 AM: Tours with mentor groups and maps/ alumni/ friends of friends
- 11:30 AM: Lunch
- 12:15 PM: Depart UCSC for Boardwalk - (Drivers needed)
- 12:30 PM: Assemble at Boardwalk and convene in Mentor groups, distribute ride slips with phone numbers of return drivers
- 2:30 PM: Leave for Summit Denali - (Drivers needed)