Apologies for the 2nd reminder. This email contains the up to date info about the middle school camping trip...
This camping trip has been a tradition at ALL Summit Public Schools for over a decade. At the start of every school year, the entire student body (in this case the entire middle school) and faculty go camping for one night at a nearby camp. This memorable event is the foundation for the mentor/mentee relationships for the year and beyond. The program is designed and led by the Denali mentors, and it’s all about the kids being together in their Community Groups.
More information about the camping trip: https://summitdenaliparents.wordpress.com/camping-trip/.
- Monday, Sept 24: Leave Denali at 8:30am (Don’t be late to school!) and arrive at Boulder Creek Scout Reservation at around 9:30am. The address is 250 Scout Ranch Road, Boulder Creek, CA 95006
- Tuesday, Sept 25: Leave Boulder Creek at 10am and arrive back at Denali at around 11am. Students are welcome and encouraged to be picked up from school as soon as we arrive back!
- Students should bring a disposable sack lunch for the first day that they will eat once they arrive at camp. Denali will provide a sack lunch for any student that qualifies for free or reduced-price lunch.
- We will be short on space in cars, so please have your child pack lightly because they may need to carry some of their gear on their laps in the car.
- Meds should be provided to the Summit Denali office before the camping trip in the original prescription containers (no loose pills!) in a ziplock bag labeled with your child’s name along with the camping medication authorization. Medication cannot be stored in students’ bags during the trip except for inhalers and for items such as EpiPens which are life-threatening if not kept close to the student.
- We have decided that we are going to allow students to bring their cell phones on the camping trip and keep them in their bag or tent. However, we highly recommend that students leave them at home, as expensive devices often get lost, broken, or dirty on these trips. If you choose to send your child with a phone, please reiterate to them the importance of keeping it somewhere safe and focusing on face-to-face interactions with their classmates and teachers!
- We encourage ALL students to attend the trip, but those opting out have the option of a supervised PLT day at our high school. The address is 1133 W. Washington Ave. Sunnyvale. Please call the front desk at 669-721-2646 if you are instead choosing to keep your student at home on Monday and Tuesday.
- A bag lunch for Monday (Though we’ll have school bag lunches available, too!)
- Sleeping bag or lots of blankets
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes that you can get dirty and move in
- Warm jacket / sweatshirt
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and towel (there will be sinks to wash up but no showers)
- Sunblock/bug repellent
- Other toiletries (deodorant, please!)
- Baby wipes are super useful for cleaning off the dirt and dust!
Things to leave at home
- Anything that would get damaged like electronics
- Hair dryers/curling irons/etc
- Extra food (raccoons! so many raccoons!)
- Nice clothes
- Anything that is inappropriate for school
- As a reminder, if you are planning to drive, you must turn in a copy of your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.
- If you are staying overnight, we must have a LiveScan and TB test on file. Another option is to stay at a nearby hotel in Boulder Creek!
- Questions about volunteer paperwork? Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Ms. Bilisoly or Ms. Gutierrez!