Happy (so late, it's barely still) Monday!
- TOMORROW Tues. Aug. 29 - Audit Party! If your unit reserved a spot at one of the audit parties, those are happening tomorrow at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Wed. Sept. 6 - Office Hours (10 a.m. to noon & 5-7 p.m.)
- NEW! Wed. Sept. 6 - Social Media Training! 11 a.m., TVC PTA Office
Come learn how to set up a Facebook page or group (and learn the difference between the two!), how to use Instagram or Twitter for your unit, how to create content, and how to set up an email list or e-newsletter.
- NEW! Sept. 18-22 - Unit Health Assessments! More information about sign-ups will be forthcoming.
Fri. Sept. 15 - Membership Remittances Due for Early Bird
- Tues. Sept. 19 - Office Hours (10 a.m. to noon & 5-7 p.m.)
- Tues. Sept. 19 - September Paperwork and Membership Remittances Due
- Thurs. Sept. 21 - Office Hours (10 a.m. to noon & 5-7 p.m.)
- NEW! Wed. Oct. 4 - Reflections Submissions are Due! You can turn these in during office hours that day.
- NEW! Tues. Nov. 28 - TVC PTA General Association Meeting, 7 p.m., TVUSD Conference Rooms A-C
- Please join the TVC PTA Officers group on Facebook if you haven't already. It's just another way to stay informed with TVC happenings, as well as reach out to other PTA units and members for ideas or help.
- As a reminder, we have an online system where Unit Presidents and Treasurers may request general financial training or cash handling training seminars for their unit. Units must use this form: https://docs.google.com/
forms/d/e/ 1FAIpQLSfp7cxHH2dr2yG9IizrUVLM 4QIvqVTfx5VPpWG0_J6M6fI9sA/ viewform?usp=sf_link (click here.) to make the request. Only unit presidents or treasurers may make the request.
NEW! In Case You Missed It!
Our first General Association Meeting was held last week, on Aug. 22. Here are some highlights of what was discussed:
From President Becca Marks-Anderson:
- Thank you to everyone who attended our first General Association meeting of the 2017-2018 year! We were excited to see all of you, and to get business handled and information to you! Congratulations to all of our amazing PTA Rock Stars! Mark your calendars now, the next TVC PTA General Association Meeting will be Tuesday, November 28 in the TVUSD Conference Center! We hope to see you there!
- Unit Insurance premiums are coming due. Unit Insurance premiums for 2017-2018 will be $228. Payments should be remitted via check, and payments should be made out to Temecula Valley Council of PTAs or TVC PTA. For convenience and documentation purposes, invoices will be sent to unit presidents and treasurers.
- Unit Assessments are also coming due. Units will be invoiced within the next week.
- All September paperwork should be remitted during the scheduled Unit Health Assessment. The form will be sent out in next week's PTA weekly. All units must schedule a unit health assessment, and scheduling is limited. Don't wait!
- Per the August 22, 2017 TVC PTA General Association Meeting, in TVUSD there are to be no further Color Runs, effectively immediately. The affects not only PTA, but all other parent groups, ASB, etc. Please contact TVC PTA President Becca Marks-Anderson if you have questions regarding moving forward with alternative activities.
From VP of Family Engagement, Andi Heim:
- Please visit the National PTA website, http://www.pta.org, and search "Family Engagement." There is information on the following: family-school partnerships, immigrant families, male/father engagement, military families, and Awards & Grants.
- You can also search for "Three for Me" program. This is a PTA program designed to involve parents and families in support of children and their education. It helps you find different ways for parents to volunteer at home, in school and their community. English and Spanish versions of printable PROMISE cards and CERTIFICATES are available. You can customize and give to parents who volunteer.
- Finally, under "News & Events" on the National website, I found the PTA & AT&T Team Up program we discussed at the meeting. This program grants low-cost internet service to qualifying families. Please see the article for information on how to qualify. Further information can be found at PTA.org/DigitalAccess
From VP of Advocacy, Jennifer San Nicholas:
I received this information from the California State PTA:
ACTION NEEDED: Tell Your Legislator to Protect $850 Million for Children's Education
Contact your state Senator and Assemblymember today and ask them to rescind “pre-approved cuts” to our children’s education funding over the next three years. A part of recently passed AB99 (the education budget trailer bill) potentially cuts the Prop. 98 school funding minimum guarantee for K-12 public schools over the next three years. The reason? A guess that state revenue might be less in the future.
We need your help. Bad laws can be rescinded! Please take action today! Email your Senator and Assemblymember today and tell them cutting $850 million from California schools over the next three years is unacceptable and wrong. (By sending an email, your legislator will know how much could be cut from your LOCAL schools).
California schools cannot be cut AGAIN! Time is running out – the Legislative session ends September 15, 2017. TAKE ACTION TODAY!
- Just a reminder, that you may NOT post any pictures of students, staff, teachers, or volunteers without a signed photo release form. This includes all forms of social media, no matter how private you think they are. If they are coming from PTA, you need permission. The photo release forms from TVUSD do NOT count! You must have PTA photo release forms on file. You can find blank photo release forms in the CAPTA Toolkit online.
- When building an email list or e-newsletter, you can assume that by joining PTA, members are giving you permission to contact them. However, we recommend using a service like Konstella, MailChimp, or Constant Contact to give members the option to opt out of emails if they choose. These services also allow you to see who has received and read your emails, which can come in pretty handy.
- You or your unit president may want to check with the site principal on what the review & approval process will be. Some school sites require the principal's approval before publishing any newsletters or social media posts.
- We recommend purchasing your own domain name, (i.e. sunshineelementarypta.org) if you use a website. For more information on how to do this, please contact email@example.com.
From Rod Still, Parliamentarian:
- Please review your by-laws! If you don't have a copy, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The vendor survey is still open at https://goo.gl/forms/
2jCnTJ0cQh7wF7J93. Please fill out regarding any vendors (good or bad) you have worked with in the past. We plan to share this information with everyone, so we can know which vendors are trustworthy and easy to work with.
Whew, that was a doozy! Have a great week everyone!