COMPLETE THIS BACK TO SCHOOL CHECKLIST AND SKIP THE LINES ON JAGUAR DAY!
Hello Walnut Acres Families,
We hope you had a wonderful summer! School is almost here and we’re so excited to kick-off off the year with the all-new Jaguar Day! Typically Jag Day helps us get ready for the upcoming school year. While that’s important, we believe that after so much time apart, reconnecting within the Walnut Acres Community is equally as important. This year’s Jaguar Day will be a fun-filled event for the whole family, featuring food trucks (no need to cook dinner!), a live DJ, arts & crafts projects for kids, a “bring-a-book, take-a-book” book exchange table, opportunities to get fingerprinted for classroom volunteering and live performances. Keep reading to see what can be completed ahead of time along with details on all the fun activities. We can’t wait to see everyone back on campus, because Together We Shine!
1. Update MDUSD HomeLink
You should have received an email from Walnut Acres asking you to update your address, phone numbers, and emergency contacts on HomeLink online. Complete this task by August 9th, print out your new Emergency Card and bring it to Jag Day to receive your child’s class assignment immediately at Jaguar Day.
If you are a new family, or have a new student starting at Walnut Acres, you need to get a Homelink code so you can create your account and get everything updated. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request your personal code and the student ID number.
Important: Bring your printed Emergency Card to Jag Day for each Walnut Acres student.
2. New to Walnut Acres?
- Register on Konstella: Konstella is our school’s communication tool for announcements and sign-ups, and it is our online directory. New families need to register! Go to: www.konstella.com and click “Find Your School” and enter “Walnut Acres” to register.
- Get your Homelink code: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request your personal code and the student ID number. You will need to register your new student on Homelink and print your Emergency Card to bring to Jag Day.
- Attend the New Families Meeting 8/5 at 7pm in the MUR
3. Donate to the Jaguar Fund
You can donate to our Jaguar Fund online via Konstella with a credit card. The Jaguar Fund is our primary source of funds to bridge the gap between public funding and the true cost of our children’s education at Walnut Acres. We focus spending those funds on the positions and programs that will have the greatest impact on our children's education. Your Jaguar Fund contribution provides math and reading intervention specialists, classroom assistants, STEM and site tech instructors, science lab instructors, school counselor, Art Awareness program, classroom materials, and much more. The recommended amount per child is $65/month. Go to Jaguar Fund to learn more about why the fund is so important to our school, set-up automatic monthly payments or make a lump-sum donation. If you prefer to pay by cash or check, you can do so in-person on Jaguar Day.
4. Purchase Classroom Emergency Food Kits
You can purchase Classroom Emergency Food Kits online via Konstella with a credit card. Go to Classroom Emergency Food Kit Sales to purchase. The last day to order Classroom Emergency Kits is Saturday, August 20.
5. Purchase the 2021-2022 Yearbook
Order your 2021-2022 Walnut Acres Yearbook at: www.yearbookordercenter.com. Our School Code is 10053. The price of the yearbook is $25 until October 31st. On November 1 the price will increase to $35. You can also purchase and create congratulatory ads for your 5th grade student on the same site.
6. Parent Square - sign up for an account - get the app
Principal Luong uses ParentSquare to communicate with families for general information and emergencies. You will receive emails via ParentSquare without your own account. The advantage of having your own account is that you can control how you receive communication. You can download the app on your phone and receive communication via text.
7. Attend the ALL-NEW Jaguar Day on August 9th!
After a long hiatus, Jag Day is back and better than ever. Receive your child’s class assignment, learn about PFC programs and fundraisers, check out local community activities, stuff your bellies, catch up with your friends and have some fun! At Jaguar Day you can:
- Find out your child’s class assignments
- Feast on pizza and shaved ice at the Round Table Pizza and the Kona Ice Truck
- Have your kids create backpack charms, mask holders, and the school banner at the crafting tables
- Bring a book you are done reading and pick up a new one at our “Bring-a-Book, Take-a-Book” table
- Dance and listen to music from a live DJ!
- Take fun photos at the photo backdrop with our school year theme “Together We Shine”
- Watch martial arts and aerial arts performances on the grass (3:30pm) and dance performance on the blacktop (4:45pm and 5:30pm)
- Get fingerprinted to help volunteer in a Walnut Acres classroom this school year or chaperone field trips. Complete the attached form and bring with a government-issued ID. The cost is $62 for parents who have resided in California for over a year and $77 for those who have resided for less than one year. Credit cards or exact cash is accepted.
- Contribute to the Jaguar Fund if you have not already done so online
- Check out the new Walnut Acres Spirit Wear
- Sign up for parent volunteer positions including Room Parent, Art Awareness, Library, Art Show, Drive-Thru Coordinator, Open House, Auction, Community Service Day, and Parent Buy-in Party Coordinator.
- Find out about After School Music Classes, Enrichment Programs, local sports leagues and classes, CUYT Theater Productions, Girl and Boy Scout programs, the Sustainability Club, and more.
- Learn about the Walnut Acres Children's Center Before/After School Program and complete your care contracts.
JAGUAR DAY SCHEDULE
Monday, August 9th from 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Your Jaguar Day experience begins at the Multi-Use Room (MUR) entrance on Wiget Lane. Masks are required while on campus. In an attempt to bring class levels together, and to keep lines manageable, we created grade level groupings so kids can see their friends, share classroom assignments and “Shine Together”. If you have kids in different time groupings, you may choose which grouping works best for your schedule...or stay for the whole event!
Grades TK, K & 2: 3:00 - 4:15 pm
Grades 1 & 3: 4:15 - 5:30 pm
Grade 4 & 5: 5:30 - 6:30 pm
All Grades: 5:30 - 6:30 pm
Class assignment pick-up ends at 6:30; other activities end at 6:45
Walnut Acres Elementary Website - click each grade for a school supply list
We look forward to seeing you at Jaguar Day and throughout the upcoming school year! Together We Shine!
Your PFC Executive Team