Dear Jaguar Families,
Welcome back to school. Vaccines for Covid 19 are now going into arms in our Community. So much is happening in our world and our children may have questions about what they have heard or seen. Below are some resources you may refer to on how to speak to children about the events of this past week.
This Denver Post article has good advice:
Do talk to the kids, keep language simple and age appropriate, and focus on what is being done to help kids be and feel safe.
This article by National Association of School Psychologists has good points as well: Limit TV news viewing (hard to do for many households right now!), focus on positive things students can do (practice kindness):
Picture Day Goes Virtual
Like everything else this year, picture day will be virtual. You may submit your own pictures to our yearbook by following these steps. Any yearbook questions can be directed to Erica Davis and Carrie Million (email@example.com).
Please submit your pictures using the following directions:
- go to: www.hjeshare.com Enter school code walnutacres, fill in your contact information
- Click "select images for upload". Click "Browse for Images".
- Locate our images, click on them, then click "Open".
- Enter the information for each image. Please include "grade(s) of students" and provide the teacher's name if known. For "student(s) shown", type N/A. Please include the activity the picture represents (cooking, P.E., trip...)
- Click "upload images".
Return to On site Learning
The question in everyone’s mind is when will we return to on site learning? To be frank with you, I don’t know. This is a decision at the district, county, and state level. All I can say is I can’t wait until we can all be together on campus.
New Parent eTraining (see attachment): These new parenting workshops will be offered starting this week. Note that these trainings focus on how to support families in distance learning and with social-emotional growth, health, communication, and positive relationships instead of the basics of Zoom, Google Classroom, and Seesaw which we previously offered. If you have any questions, contact Paige Endo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
KINDERGARTEN & TK REGISTRATION FOR 2021-2022
Visit our Walnut Acres website for more information.
(Grade 1-5 registration will begin January 26th)
Online registration begins January 1st. Registrations entered prior to January 1st can not be accepted.
TK and Kindergarten registration day will be held on Tuesday, February 2, 2021 via zoom or phone. Registration is by appointment only. Appointments can be made beginning February 1 at 8:30 am through SignUpGenius (LINK).
A video orientation for parents of incoming Kindergarten and TK students will be available on this website in the coming weeks. Registration appointments for registration day February 2nd will be open on Monday, February 1st at 8:30 am through this LINK or at signupgenius.com.
Students born between 9/2/2016 and 12/2/2016 are eligible for TK. Students born between 9/2/2015 and 9/1/2016 will be registered for Kindergarten. (Students born between 9/2/2014 and 9/1/2015 will enter 1st grade, even if they have not attended Kindergarten).
Please do not complete the online enrollment if you meet one of these conditions. Call the office at 925-939-1333. Your student:
- was enrolled in one of our schools previously even if they did not attend
- received services such as speech or OT
- received assessment services
You will need to obtain a packet of forms as part of the registration process. Forms are available either:
- Visit the Walnut Acres website to download the files
- Pick up paper copies beginning January 12, 2021. Packets will be available on the picnic tables outside of the school office.
Steps to register your student
- Obtain the registration packet as noted above
- Gather the necessary documents (see below)
- Pre-register online (visit Walnut Acres website) after January 1st (mdusd.org) and print/save a copy. You can upload the required documents during the enrollment process (from the packet and those listed below) if you choose. *You do not need to register online if your child is a current TK student or has had services through the Mt. Diablo Unified School District.
How to submit your documents
The school office needs all of your documents prior to your registration appointment on February 2nd. There are a few ways to get them to us.
- Upload all documents to your AIR online enrollment.
- Email all documents to Walnut Acres’ office manager, Galen Ryan at email@example.com.
- Bring all documents, bundled together (a large envelope would be best) and clearly marked with your student’s name, to the school office. There will be a secure collection box on the picnic tables in front of the office. We will collect the paperwork from this box frequently throughout each day.
- Make a registration appointment through SignUpGenius starting February 1, 2021 at 8:30 am. Appointments will be held via Zoom or if you prefer by phone. The Zoom link will be emailed to you prior to your appointment.
- Please join Zoom at your appointment time. If you choose a phone appointment, we will call you. Appointments are every 15 minutes so please start your appointment on time.
- We will go over all of your paperwork to make sure it is complete. Missing or incomplete paperwork will result in a delay in your student’s enrollment.
Please note: We must have all required documents before your appointment. Incomplete paperwork and/or immunizations will not be accepted.
Stay calm and Jaguar on,