We understand there are questions circulating related to evolving public health news, so this message is intended to clarify what it means for our upcoming event. The Walnut Acres PFC holds the health of our Walnut Acres families and community in highest priority, and we also realize the annual live auction fundraiser is fundamental to the financial health of our school. After reviewing the current recommendations from the CDC, the California Department of Public Health, and the Mount Diablo School District, we have determined we will follow the lead of our school in responding to concerns regarding COVID-19 (also known as “corona virus”).
At this time, Walnut Acres plans to remain open until further notice, and as such, we will proceed with our live auction gala – an essential fundraising event for our school – as scheduled this coming Friday, March 13th at Boundary Oaks. We are taking the following precautions to minimize any risk to Walnut Acres families:
- We ask all students and families to practice these good health habits to protect their health leading up to, during, and after the event:
- Wash your hands frequently, spending at least 20 seconds scrubbing with soap including between fingers and under nails.
- Direct any coughs or sneezes into your elbow or into a tissue covering your mouth and nose, immediately disposing of the tissue and follow up by washing your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth, and if you forget, wash your hands or cleanse with hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Anyone who is experiencing a fever should stay home until he or she has been fever-free for a minimum of 24-hours, and anyone with flu-like symptoms (e.g. dry cough, body aches) should stay home.
- We are working with Boundary Oaks (the event venue) to ensure that the facility is appropriately ventilated and adequately equipped with facilities for hand washing with soap as well as supplies including hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, tissues, and trash baskets.
- We remind any ticket holders or event staff who have traveled within the past 14 days to an area identified by the CDC as having a Level 3 Travel Health Notice due to COVID-19, as well as anyone who may be at higher risk of illness (e.g. due to age or a compromised immune system caused by an underlying condition or recent medical treatment) that you should not attend the event.
- We also recommend that live auction attendees minimize close contact during the event – for example, rather than shaking hands or hugging, we recommend a bow or curtsy type greeting – in addition to reducing any transfer of germs, it will help you get into character for the Masquerade ball!
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will alert you if there is a need for any in our event plans. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing all the live auction ticket holders at the Masquerade this Friday to celebrate our community and contribute to critical educational programs at our school.
On behalf of the Auction Committee and the Walnut Acres PFC Executive Board, thank you for your understanding and your continued support!