What's Happening at Walnut Acres -February 21st, 2023
Mark Your Calendars!
2/21: PFC Meeting on ZOOM 7 pm
3/3: Auction Evening
3/10-11: CUYT 4th/5th grade Show “Alice in Wonderland”
3/13: Teacher In-Service Day - No School
3/14: PFC Meeting on ZOOM 7 pm
3/17-18: CUYT 4th/5th grade Show “Alice in Wonderland”
3/20-24: Mt. Diablo HOPE Food Drive
3/29: Open House Festival
3/31: Cesar Chavez Day - No School
For the entire calendar, please see: PFC Key Dates 2022-2023
Want to add PFC events to your personal calendar? Go to the Konstella calendar and click "Sync to My Calendar" (web) or "Sync" (mobile app). Never miss a PFC event again!
* * * * *
Principal Ashton's Announcements
- MDUSD CCEIS Families: This is a quick informational video that explains CCIES from a 'parent's perspective'. https://youtu.be/uMRSQ553pq0
- Parent Information Meeting re: New Pathway to Diplomas for Students with Moderate to Severe Needs: The Special Education Department will be hosting two parent information meetings to take place at the District Office (Monday, March 6th at 6pm and Tuesday, March 7th at 4pm). This is a great opportunity to learn more about the changes to regulations for how students with disabilities have access to earn a high school diploma. This meeting is designed to provide information about how the District is responding and have a chance to offer input regarding the implementation of the high school diploma for students with moderate to severe disabilities.
- Extended School Year - (SPED) ESY registration is now open. A robocall was sent out to families who qualify for ESY this week. Please see the ESY website for detailed information. https://mdusd.org/ESY. Families need to complete their enrollment prior to April 15, 2023 to ensure transportation will be in place by the first day of the program.
- Physical Fitness Test - The 2022-203 Physical Fitness Test for 5th graders will start this month. Information was sent to parents/guardians on Monday 2/13/2023 via ParentSquare from Principal Ashton. Should you have questions, please reach out to your child’s 5th grade teacher directly.
PFC Board Nominating Committee
Join us on April 21st from 4-7 pm for our 4th annual International Fair! Learn about and enjoy the diversity we have at our fingertips. Learn about and celebrate a rich diversity of cultures not only from around the world but also in our very own community. We will have performances, games, food, and so much more. Admission is free (but do bring cash if you’d like to try a food truck
Now is the time to think about hosting a country table or contributing to a performance of some sort. SIGN UP HERE! Remember, you do not have to be from, or have any origins from a country to host a table. You can choose a country you have always wanted to learn about! If you notice another family has signed up for the same country, join them! The more the merrier. If you don't see your country on the list, let us know and we will add it.
New Families Committee
The Walnut Acres PFC New Families Committee is here to welcome all new families by sharing important information and answering questions. Please join the Konstella "New Families 2023-2024" social group where we will help you prepare for the new school year with a summer checklist, important date reminders, summer playdates, a New Families Orientation and more. You can also email us at email@example.com
* * * * *
5th Grade Parents- February is your month to host Drive-Thru!
5th Grade Parents: Please help us in the Drive Thru line as we open doors and greet students while they are arriving at school. As in previous years, we are having each grade level help out at the Drive Thru during specific months. We would appreciate 2-4 helpers each day. Can you help for 20 minutes in the morning, 7:40 - 8:00 am? If so, please sign up!
5th Grade Parents and Caregivers sign up HERE!
Here’s what to expect in the coming months in terms of the monthly volunteer schedule:
February: 5th Grade
March: 4th Grade
April: 3rd Grade
May: 2nd Grade
And all of the Walnut Acres Dads and Grandpas, remember that Friday’s are for YOU! Come help out at Drive-Thru line. It’s an easy way to get involved in the school community!
Important Message! Please make sure to drive SLOWLY in our Walnut Acres School Zone and please observe all “No Parking” signs. It’s crucial for the safety of students!
* * * * *
Buy your 2022-2023 Walnut Acres Yearbook NOW for $35!
CLICK HERE to order and enter school code: 10053
Want to share your amazing pictures for the yearbook?
- Go to: www.hjeshare.com; Enter school code walnutacres
- Click "select images for upload". Click "Browse for Images".
- Locate our images, click on them, then click "Open".
- Enter the information for each image. Please include "grade(s) of students" and provide the teacher's name if known. For "student(s) shown", type N/A.
- Click "upload images"
* * * * *
Lunch & Recess Duty sign-ups
We need parents daily to help supervise students during lunch and on the playground to make sure they play safely, as well as assist in cleaning the tables between student lunch shifts. All volunteers must be cleared by MDUSD to help at lunch. Sign-up HERE
* * * * *
Say it in Lights!
Support the PFC and put a smile on your child's face! For $25.00, the greeting “Happy Birthday ‘Your Child’s Name’” will be on display on the Walnut Acres' electronic Marquee from 7am-9pm on your date of choice. Click HERE to purchase.
Is your child’s birthday during the summer? Consider a “half-birthday” greeting 6 months after their birthday.
The deadline for submitting an order is one week prior to your child's birthday.
Questions? Email Justin Pickering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * * * *
Drive Thru Procedures
- Pull up to a volunteer for assistance getting your student out of the car
- Do NOT get out of your car
- Have your child ready (goodbyes said, backpack ready) to exit curbside
- Do NOT go around other cars if you are "empty"
- Do NOT park in the drive thru line
* * * * *
Managing your Konstella Notifications
Did you know you can manage how & when you receive Konstella messages? Go to Account Settings > Notifications to manage your preferences.