PTA 50th Reflections Art Program
The National PTA Reflections Program is an arts recognition and achievement program for students. For 50 years, National PTA’s Reflections program has helped students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life.
The Reflections Program provides opportunities for students to express themselves creatively and to receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by a pre-selected theme, while increasing community awareness on the importance of the arts in education. Each year, hundreds of thousands of students in Pre-K through Grade 12 create and submit original works of art in one or all of the available arts categories. Participation in the Reflections Program is a great way for students to explore and learn about various art forms.
The 2018-2019 theme is "Heroes Around Me"
If your child chooses to participate, s/he will have the opportunity to create an original piece of art at home in 6 different categories. The pieces will be judged and the top 2 entries from each category will move on to the district competition and have a chance to make it all the way to the national competition! We hope to host our Reflections Art Show and Awards Ceremony on later in the school year in the Warm Springs Elementary Gym.
HOW TO ENTER:
- SIGN UP for Email Updates & Information: bit.ly/ReflectionsMailingList
- DOWNLOAD & PRINT Rules & Entry Form: bit.ly/WarmSpringsReflections
- SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY. Only one entry per child, per category. Entries are due Friday, October 19, 2018 to the Warm Springs School Office.
Please contact Reflections Art Program Chair, Toral Kale at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
REFLECTIONS PROGRAM FAQs
What Type of Art is Accepted?
Students may submit ONE entry in ANY or ALL of the six arts areas listed below. Only ORIGINAL works of art are accepted. Students may enter more than one work of art, as long as it is in a different category.. The six arts areas are as follows:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
What Divisions are There?
Participation in the Reflections Program is organized by school grade. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. This allows recognition and judging of artworks by appropriate developmental age and skill levels. At Warm Springs we have 3 divisions:
- Intermediate Grades 3-5
- Middle/Junior Grades 6-8
- Special Artist (Students with Disabilities that meet ADA guidelines)
- All entries submitted must be original works created for this program and must relate to the annual Reflections Program theme.
- Each entry must be the work of only one student. Assistance from teachers, parents or friends is not permitted except in special cases (such as for those with visual or physical disabilities)
- Participation encourages creativity and exploration. Students should do their best, but crooked lines, incorrect musical notes, or misspelled words do not disqualify anyone.
How are Artists Recognized?
- At Warm Springs- Entries are first judged at the school level and the top 2 move on to the district level; also, we hope to hold an art show and awards ceremony to recognize all the participants at Warm Springs Elementary.
- At the Council level (Fremont)- Based on how they place during judging at our school, any entries that receive an Award of Excellence are chosen to represent the PTA at the Council level, where there is an awards ceremony on December 8th. Entries compete against others in our Council (Fremont) and if selected to advance would then advance to District.
- Statewide (California)- Once entries reach the level of the California State PTA, entries may be selected for submission to the National PTA. State-level award recipients are typically announced in March and will receive a letter from California State PTA in the mail.
- National- Award recipients will be notified via email by National PTA in May. Award of Excellence and Awards of Merit are recognized at the annual National PTA convention and are displayed as part of the program's traveling exhibit. Awards and certificates are mailed after the National PTA Convention, by the end of July.
- You can learn more about the reflections program here: http://capta.org/programs-events/reflections/