Para traducir, haga clic en "Seleccionar idioma" en la parte inferior del menú de la izquierda en Konstella en una computadora de escritorio.
Hello fellow parents! The PTA knows that with the start of the school year approaching, this is an uncertain time for all of you. We are writing to share what we’re doing to support families, teachers and our whole school community during the Covid-19 crisis, and to ask for your help charting the path forward.
The PTA has formed a Covid Resource Committee, chaired by Evan Merz, the parent of a WGE first-grader. The committee’s goal is to develop an action plan for the PTA’s response and to make recommendations on spending to the PTA board and membership. This group of dedicated parents is meeting weekly, and we already have some plans to share:
- We're working with the Willow Glen Library to provide tutoring and Homework Club to students. If you are interested in arranging a virtual tutor for your child, or if you would like to volunteer as a tutor, watch for more information later this week. Spanish-speaking volunteers are especially in demand.
- We're working on a short-term contract with our music enrichment provider, Community School of Music and Arts, to provide virtual after-school music classes to all students, in English and Spanish, for the beginning portion of the year. Keep an eye on Konstella for dates and times. This is an interim solution until we can figure out how to get our academic enrichment programs — Schmahl Science, PE, music, art, Project Cornerstone and the garden — back in the school-day schedule.
- We are recruiting a room parent for each classroom who can be a point person for the teacher and other parents, helping with communication, tech support and general questions.
- Teachers will have access to their PTA-funded classroom stipends, which range from $1,000 to $1,500. Other staff have stipends of varying amounts to support students and families.
- Ms. Knapp will have PTA-funded Target gift cards to support vulnerable students and families with their needs through the Willow Glen Cares program. This is in addition to the $10,965 our generous parents donated in the spring to support WGE families in need. We distributed these funds to 45 families.
We plan to do more — much more — but want to make sure we are being responsible with PTA funds and responsive to the needs of families and staff, which are still developing. We are consulting with Ms. Knapp and Ms. Alvarez, our teachers, other PTAs, and all of you to explore what’s needed and what’s possible. Within the first few weeks of school, we’ll send a survey asking for your feedback and priorities.
How can you help?
- Join the Covid Resource Committee — email Evan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send ideas we should consider to Evan at email@example.com.
- Join the PTA and make an Annual Giving donation.
- Participate (virtually) in our first PTA meeting of the year, Aug. 18 (keep an eye on Konstella for the link to join).
- Sign up as a program volunteer with the Homework Club at Willow Glen Library (details to come).
- Volunteer as a room parent by connecting with the PTA’s volunteer coordinator, Jaqi Erickson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you about your needs and sharing more about the committee’s work.
The PTA Covid Resource Committee
Evan Merz, chair
Reggie San Pablo