As MMUN delegates, participating students will select a country, spend several months learning about the country’s history, culture, and politics (making ample use of the wonderful resources here in Washington DC to support this learning), and ultimately represent this country during an in-person MMUN conference in New York City from March 20-23, 2024.
- Registration is due by Friday, Sept. 1.
- Model UN will meet every Tuesday after school until 5pm, starting Tuesday, Sept. 5. As we go along, we may find that we finish our weekly work earlier than 5pm, in which case I'll reach out to families to adjust the pick-up time.
- Tues., Sept. 12 is the deadline for our group to select the country they would like to represent (as well as 2 alternatives). I've attached the list of countries as well as delegation sizes for each country. Breakthrough will register our delegation with Model UN by Friday, Sept. 15.
- After selecting our country, we will use weekly meeting time to explore the history and purpose of the United Nations, as well as the history, policies, and culture of the country our group represents. Along the way, we will work on our skills in research, writing, and public speaking. Washington DC will be our classroom for this work! We look forward to visiting embassies, museums, and other intergovernmental organizations here in the District.
- Jan 10 is the deadline for students to submit their position papers (typed essays explaining their country's position on a specific topic related to their committee assignment)
- March 20-23: Model United Nations conference in New York City.